Support and training
We provide a range of services for adoptive families or those that have been approved.
- advice and information
- regular support groups for adopters (people who adopt)
- workshops and training on topics of interest
- services in relation to therapeutic needs of a child and applications to the Adoption Support Fund where applicable
- a regular newsletter to tell you what’s going on
- family fun days and events
- the Adopter’s Mentoring Service – informal telephone support from an experienced and trained adoptive parent
- delivering packages of therapeutic intervention or parenting support
- signposting you to other services that might provide additional support to a family.
ACE offers adopters and prospective adopters a wide ranging training package. We can help you use your life experiences and skills to provide a safe, loving home for a child.
We understand that some of you may not need our support and training after adopting. However we commit to giving you an offer of support at any time you may need it. You can reach out to us at any point from your child’s early years through to their adolescence and beyond. Some of our training programmes include:
- Introductions and early days of placement
- Therapeutic play — a ‘theraplay’ taster
- Introduction to attachment and therapeutic parenting
- “Next steps” workshop for waiting adopters
- A life story workshop for families
- Friends and family training
- Eat sleep, play – dealing with the challenges
- Parenting teenagers
- Parenting an adopted child
There are a number of additional events and schemes offered:
- Bi-monthly adopter coffee mornings
- Adopter mentoring scheme
Assessment of Need
ACE will undertake an Assessment Of Need to assess the needs of your family.
Adoption Support Fund
In 2015 the Government launched the Adoption Support Fund (ASF). The aim of the fund is to provide funding for a range of therapeutic interventions to support the child and their family. The Government have secured money for the Fund until March 2022.
ACE have a therapeutic team that can provide a range of therapeutic courses and interventions including Therapeutic parenting and sensory integration, Non-Violent Resistance (NVR) and Parent Child Play Attachment which can be funded through the ASF. Where ACE cannot provide the intervention, an external provider will be identified with the agreement of the adoptive family.
From 2018/19 ACE made 516 applications to the ASF using over 1.3 million to fund a range of interventions for ACE children and families. ACE social workers are required to complete an Assessment of Need meeting with the family to ascertain the presenting needs for the family and identify the appropriate support required. This may lead to applying to the ASF to access funding for the desired intervention.
- For further information please see First 4 Adoption - Adoption Support Fund
- Therapeutic approaches training courses 2020/21 (PDF, 760 KB)
- Mentoring scheme for adoptive parents