ACE offers a comprehensive training programme for prospective and approved adopters, and their family and friends, and you are invited to express an interest in attending the programmes listed below.
The programme is for:
- ACE approved adopters or those previously approved by Coventry City Council, Herefordshire Council, Solihull MBC, Warwickshire County Council or Worcestershire County Council.
- Where you would be eligible for services from ACE as your child has been adopted by you for more than 3 years and you live within the ACE region.
If the above criteria do not apply, please contact ACE and we can discuss your interest further.
You are invited to review all the training on offer as you may wish to revisit an area of training or increase your level of understanding on a particular aspect of adoption or therapeutic parenting.
To register your interest please complete the Adopter Training Request Form. You are required to provide such information as your name, contact details, address, and local authority area.
Once received the training administrator will contact you directly and confirm the arrangements. Please be advised that the courses are limited to 20 attendees – however do not worry if the course is full, we will hold onto your information and advise you of the next available course dates.
Post approval courses
These courses can be useful whether or not have adopted children to date and the programme covers:
- Introduction and Early Days
- The First Year – Parenting with PACE
- Talking and telling about adoption – The importance of identity, and life story books
- Eat Sleep and Play
- Psychological Health in Adopted Children and Adolescents
- Self-Harm Workshop
- Identity and contact in adoption
Therapeutic Interventions and Group Based Training
If you think the Therapeutic Programme might be helpful the process is slightly different. By sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, arrangements will be made for a social worker to contact you who will assess whether the programme is appropriate and if so, will make the necessary arrangements that includes an application to the Adoption Support Fund (ASF).
These courses are more than one session and the programme covers:
- Parenting Teens
- Attachment in schools and managing educational transitions
- Therapeutic and sensory based parenting programme
- Non Violence Resistance (NVR)
Extended programme for family and friends
Details of training events and webinars that family and friends might find helpful will be available later in the year. In the meantime, family and friends of adoptive families can access useful information in the Resources Section of the ACE Website.
Forthcoming events and conferences
This section gives you information about local and national events that may of interest to you. These are not delivered by or through ACE and charges may apply.
The course details are regularly updated to include the course dates once these are confirmed.
If you require any assistance or have any questions regarding training events, please email email@example.com.